Saturday, June 13, 2009

Sites Worth Your Time - The Strobist

This is the second Site Worth Your Time but by no means is that an indicator of the usefulness of the site.  In fact, The Strobist might be one of the greatest resources ever on the web.  The Strobist has one mission:

This website is about one thing: Learning how to use off-camera flash with your dSLR to take your photos to the next level. Or the next ten levels.

Now I have to admit I thought off camera flash was something strange, arcane and only for professionals.  About 5 minutes into trying to make my AF360 work in wireless mode I was SURE it wasn't for me!  I mean, I had to read the instructions!  Once I finally got it to work, the results were just not that impressive and I was back to traditional on camera work.  A few months later I stumbled on to The Strobist and saw this lesson and I was hooked.  Trying to get pictures like this or this is not easy, but its not nearly as hard as I thought.  In fact, the instructions are so good, I managed to get some semi decent ones on my first try.  

Off camera flash is not for everyone.  For one, if your camera doesn't have built in wireless capability, you will need to buy either transmitters or cables that are compatible with your brand of camera and flash (one of those "value" reasons I went with Pentax).  And of course it means more gear because you cant JUST have a flash.  Pretty soon you will want stands, umbrellas, hot lights, back lights and on and on.  Well maybe not.  Turns out you can do a LOT with just one flash and your hand to make a picture better.  The Strobist lays it all out in great detail starting with Lighting 101.

Once you have worked through all 29 (!) lessons, head over to Boot Camp.  Boot Camp II just started so you have a chance to not only learn but win some great prizes.  But dont forget to go through the Boot Camp I lessons and results.  You can learn a TON from the good, bad and ugly that other photographers produce - especially if you know how they were trying to do it.  Not that you will find much bad or ugly.  I think the first thing I learned once I really got my flash off was that one of the biggest difference between professional looking and amateur looking pictures was the proper use of a flash.  With the lessons here (don't forget Lighting 102), you can banish those flat, red eye monster pictures and take pictures for people to chimp about (ooooh aaaaah).

I am personally amazed by the depth and breadth of information David Hobby (aka The Strobist) has put on this site.  That he has it all available FREE is even more amazing.  He could easily charge for the site and get a TON of subscribers.  I would be right there.  But it is free and so its silly to not read and learn.  I have no idea how much a class or workshop would cost to teach everything available on the site but I know it would be more than what I spend on all my gear.  If you think of it that way, its like getting a bunch of free gear or more importantly, teaching you how to maximize the gear you have.  

The Strobist is a Site Worth Your Time

No comments:

Post a Comment